Thursday, May 20, 2010

Thursday Highlights

Every three weeks I visit a cute salon for my short "Jack McFarland" haircut. As a former military officer, once the hair even remotely touches my ear, it's time for a trim! I'm all about low maintenance. The salon is located in Salisbury - an affluent neighborhood with a fancy country club on one end and a swank golf course on the other. Since The Simple Laugh launched less than a month ago, I wanted to take advantage of my hair appointment and use it as an opportunity to market one of my most popular products - the "Flower Pot Mug". So, I planted an indoor plant in a mug and with the salon owner's permission, I placed it on the counter with my business cards. I made sure it was a plant that needed only "low light" so it wouldn't require too much attention on their part. I took one step back, cocked my little head sideways, and stared at the placement of the mug and cards, then hoped that the display will interest clients in their tennis skirts and plaid golf sweater vests.

It was my turn next. Would it be low lights or highlights for my "Just Jack!" hairstyle?...a typical decision for the beginning of each summer. Hmmm... This time, I decided on ALL LIGHT...all blond...something crazy to reflect my crazy idea to resign from my government job after 15 years and start my own business in these less than delightful economic times. Needless to say, my hairdresser was excited, as she sports a different outgoing style and color each time I see her.

Phase One: Pour on the Clorox! After which, I sat under the HOT dryer while my head was surrounded with an odor similar to the one in my laundry room when I'm washing whites. Result: No more distinguished grey hair...I am completely blond! I look like comic book "Richie Rich" - minus all of the money.

Phase Two: Another toxic concoction to tone down the color, so I don't scare small children. Between the bleach and the toner, I'm buzzed...at 11 AM...alcohol not included. I try to stand up from the sink and almost fall over. Result: I can hardly stand and I look like a candidate for Hitler's Aryan race with my white skin, blue eyes, and my toned-down blond hair - minus the swastika, of course!!

Phase Three: In my hairdresser's own words: "Now, let's cut it all off!" Wait a minute...I'm paying for all of that color and now it's going to end up on the floor in less than 60 seconds? I'm in the wrong business! The hair begins to fly and it all starts to come together...the eye-catching color...the trendy style. Result: I'm stoked! I look like Pink - minus the seductive, little outfits, fish net stockings, ...oh, and the ability to sing while dripping wet, suspended in the air like something out of Cirque de Soleil.

There you have it. Low light for the plant in the Flower Pot Mug, and all light for its creator! Now, I need a tan.

The End. And Scene.

~The Simple Blonde...jodi

No comments:

Post a Comment