Tuesday, May 3, 2011

In honor of Mr. Sam Vitelli

The first day of April marked the 100th birthday for my Grandpap Sam. A centenarian on April Fool's Day...Seriously?...Seriously. Since I live a few states away (and Grandpap has enough slippers to open his own slipper store), I wanted to do something special for him long distance. My Mother gave me the idea of somehow getting at least 100 birthday cards sent to him at the health center where he lives - otherwise known as "the jail", in my Grandpap's own words. [As far as I know, jails don't offer gourmet meals, special events and cute nurses!] I posted my Mother's idea right away on my Facebook page for all of my friends to see, while my sister did the same on her page. Excited responses started pouring in from all of our friends and the cards were on their way to my Grandpap...at the jailhouse.

In the meantime, a friend gave me a couple of other ideas for my Grandpap's 100th birthday celebration: (1) request a birthday greeting from the President; and, (2) have Willard Scott announce his birthday on the TODAY Show. Without hesitation, I was on the phone submitting a request via my congressman for the birthday greeting from the President. It was only two weeks before my Grandpap's birthday and I was well aware that "requests should be received at least six weeks in advance of the event date". But, I still wanted Grandpap to eventually receive the greeting from El Presidente!

Then, I went to work on my email request to Willard Scott for the on-air announcement on the "Smuckers" segment of the TODAY Show. Once again, I learned that I was behind schedule since requests should be received approximately four weeks in advance, but I still wanted to give Grandpap a shot at his 10 seconds of fame on the air. In accordance with the instructions, I submitted: my Grandpap's name, date of birth (of course, this might be helpful), mailing address (1 Prison Lane), etc., along with a recent photo (no black-and-whites from 1911) and "anything interesting about the celebrant". Without a doubt, I thought the most interesting thing about my Grandpap was the fact that he played both the trumpet and trombone in a big band for many years. I remember staying with my grandparents on weekends and Grandpap sitting there at the dinner table with a maroon velveteen jacket, white ruffled shirt, and "Sam" embroidered above the left chest pocket. I stared at my Grandpap and I was so proud knowing that he was a musician, while other grandfathers were most likely sitting at home in their LazyBoy recliners reading the newspaper. So, I hoped and prayed that my Grandpap's interesting fact was enough to get him on the show even if the submission was two weeks behind.

On the morning of Grandpap's birthday at 0830, I tuned into the TODAY Show anxiously waiting for Willard Scott's birthday announcements. One "white-top", two "white-top", three "white-top", four 'white-top", then the jelly segment ended. That's it?...only four birthday announcements?! C'mon Willard! I know that you're busy playing shuffle board at your off-site location in Florida, but you couldn't have squeezed my Grandpap in the announcements?! Perhaps next year...if Grandpap hasn't checked out of the jail. Until then, I'm sending both of my requests to the White House and Willard Scott 48 weeks in advance!

In the end, my Grandpap received a total of 107 birthday cards - seven over our goal of 100! This included a very nice congratulatory letter from Willard Scott and the last item received as #107 was an official White House greeting signed by the President and Mrs. Obama - most likely a stamp, but very much appreciated. My Mother hung every item received on the wall in Grandpap's room (jail cell) to remind him of how much he is loved...thanks to everyone.

My sister and I want to thank each and everyone of you who helped make my Grandpap's 100th birthday so memorable! Hmmm...I wonder if my niece and nephew snuck a file into Grandpap's cake so he could escape from the jail?


Signed,
Grandpap Sam's favorite grandchild,
Jodi...owner of The Simple Laugh (a trendy web store that does not sell slippers)

No comments:

Post a Comment